Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Drinking Nescafe in the Land of Starbucks

nescafe
Now this is a strange business, - actually a bit of rally fallout. For the last month I've been drinking Nescafé instant coffee at home as a matter of choice. Just in case anyone doesn't know, I'm a resident of Seattle, aka The Home of Starbucks. You know, the place where you fork out up to $4+ for a "handcrafted latte". Well I have to confess I've spent a good deal of money on legal addictive stimulants at Starbucks and its clones over the past decade or more. I do like it and indeed I haven't imbibed soluble coffee in any significant quantities since the early 1980s: living in America has caused me to believe that anything less than ground beans is not an acceptable drink.

Well here's the enigma. On the rally I purchased a small jar of Nescafé Gold Blend and made two flasks of the stuff for us every day. It was particularly useful on the Concentration Run where the only answer to chronic sleep deprivation was brutal levels of caffeination. Now back safely in Washington State I find that I prefer to make cups of instant at home and I'm constantly raiding that little jar. It's not actually coffee in the Starbucks sense but a pleasant drink nevertheless and it's certainly capable of getting me totally wired if I disrespect it. Definitely not wimpish! Now my stock is diminishing rapidly and it's not kept in any of my local supermarkets. I'll have to investigate my local British food emporium next time I go to load up on kippers, proper bacon and so forth. In any case I don't understand this reversion to 1970s-beverages. Maybe it's a nostalgia thing but in any case it's definitely most odd.

Peace!

P.S. It's just occurred to me that I could ask Nestle for sponsorship on next year's event.

No comments: