Monday, February 27, 2006

California Dreamin' (Not)

Smog
Typical air quality in San Diego i.e. not very different from mustard gas.


I'm now back in Seattle after my trip to San Diego to sort out the Large Personal Project. It seems strange to me that when I mention this Californian destination some people go into raptures. I really don't understand. To me San Diego is a gridlocked, smog-bound hell hole and more culture can usually be found in the bottom of a youghourt pot (with apologies to the communities of Leucadia, Encinitas, Solana Beach, Cardiff and Valley Center which I really like). At least one thing amused me, though. After crawling through yet another traffic jam on one of the interstates on Friday morning, the cause was revealed. Two Hummers, you know -those garishly painted sheds-on-wheels that do 8mpg (on freeway with professional driver: yours may differ) had crashed into one another. There was glass, metal and Police everywhere. I was hoping the wrecks might be terminal. Couldn't have happened to two nicer vehicles!

No comments: