Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Presedential Inauguration Day: Obama-mania

capitol

Celebrations for Barack Obama's presidential inauguration are in full swing as I write and the mood in the country is quite amazing. Nobody does optimism like Americans. My own feelings are more detached. As a white man I cannot experience the emotion of Black Americans who have lived to see the day when a African American is sworn in as the Chief Executive of the country. And as an ersatz American (read mere Green Card holder) I can't help but feel somewhat set-apart. Nevertheless this is truly an historic day and as a world citizen I'm delighted that the people of the US have elected as their 44th President an intelligent, articulate, mild mannered-centerist who can pronounce "nuclear" properly. Please enjoy the day Mr Obama; unfortunately the bumpy ride will start tomorrow.

No comments: