Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Tsunami


Tsunami Map
Originally uploaded by wjwmorrow.
The magnitude and horror of the SE Asia earthquake and tsunami defies belief. With a projected 100,000 fatalaties this is three times more than the infamous Krakatoa eruption of 1883. This is definitely the greatest natural disaster of my lifetime. I feel quite numb about it and wish I could do something about it other than send some money to a relief agency. When I retire I shall consider joining Medecins Sans Frontieres or similar organization.

I have "borrowed' the map from Reuters: the original source is UNOSAT. It illustrates those countries most affected by the Tsunami. It also illustrates approximate land coverage under 30 meters elevation as a zone of potential Tsunami damage. A full size version is available here.

Peace!

No comments: