Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Enough is Enough!


John and Jack 1977
Originally uploaded by wjwmorrow.
I think I've written quite enough about my DSc so this will be my final major posting on the topic. Actually all I want to do is thank everyone who helped me throughout the course of my career. So I've simply lifted the "Acknowledgements" section from the front of the thesis and posted it below. Oh and I've added a photo of Jack Harris and myself taken at a conference in Aberdeen, circa September, 1977. Jack looks young and I look younger -not to mention that "deer caught in the headlights" look. Incidentally, I think those wide ties are back in fashion again...!
-----------
Acknowledgements

This volume of published material represents work carried out over a period spanning nearly three decades. Its compilation has been something of a reflective process and I feel I should pay tribute to some of the individuals who greatly influenced my scientific development and played key roles in my career. Thus I thank and acknowledge the following:

Professor David Lloyd, University of Wales, Cardiff, for helping me take my first steps in research and suggesting that I should embark on PhD studies.

Dr Jack Harris, University of Plymouth, for mentoring me through my postgraduate studies, instilling me with self-belief in my work and providing me with an early insight into the machinations of the scientific establishment.

Professor Ivan Roitt, University College London School of Medicine, for demonstrating sheer passion for science as well as teaching me the value of tenacity.

Professor David Isenberg, University College London School of Medicine, for educating me in many medical matters as well as helping to show me the value of teamwork in research; also for providing unfailing moral and career support over the years.

Professor Jay Levy, University of California School of Medicine, San Francisco, for training me to think about the "big biological picture" and educating me about retrovirology.

Dr Nabil Hanna, IDEC Pharmaceuticals, San Diego, for demonstrating very clearly, that the simple approach to product discovery is the best.

Professor Pierre Youinou, Centre Hospitalier RĂ©gional et Universitaire, Brest, Dr Syamal Raychaudhuri, InBios International, Seattle and Professor George Attard, University of Southampton, for excellent, productive and highly enjoyable collaborations over the years.

All under- and post-graduate students who trusted me to supervise them. Not only did they contribute to my career through their diligence and productivity but they provided me with a constant source of scientific and technical education. Particular mention must be made of Dan Mayes, Chris Swanson, Jacques Homsy, Marcia Wharton, Isabelle Gaston, Tony Ng, Elizabeth Ross, Nadeem Sheikh, Palsingam "Nathan" Rajananthanan, Uzma Hasan and Caterina Hatzifoti. My apologies go to any I may have forgotten.

Finally, I cannot complete this section without mentioning my father, the late A. W. Morrow. He was a virologist by training and worked extensively on Foot and Mouth disease vaccines. Not only did he teach me patience and thoroughness but throughout my formative years provided me with a constant stream of information about microbiological topics. Despite making a great effort in my teenage years to resist following the same paternal pathway, the combination of nature and nurture proved too difficult to oppose. Indeed it was more than a little eerie to discover quite recently that at the end of his career my father was working in the exact same field as I am now (i.e. saponin-like antigen delivery systems). Overall he provided a wonderful example of how inspiration can be achieved through quiet and compassionate leadership: a model I can only hope to emulate.

I am indebted to Sally Warrington and Barbara Droker for helping to compile this volume.

-------------

Peace!

No comments: