Saturday, October 04, 2014

Hawker Hurricane

A Mk 1 Hawker Hurricane buzzes over Alexandra Gardens, Windsor, July
1940 2012

While we are still in the "Battle of Britain" 74th anniversary season I thought I'd post up this pic of a Hawker Hurricane I snapped over Windsor, Berkshire, a couple of years ago.  Yes, honestly, I really did take it myself although I confess to adding a little patination. Quite a lot actually. Scroll down for the full story (and maybe a surprise)....                                    

                                                                                  Scroll down



                                                                                  Scroll down



                                                                                  Scroll down



                                                                                  Scroll down




I'll 'fess right up, here. This is what I photographed. A full size replica of Sir Sydney Camm's  genius design erected in 2012 in his home town of Windsor.  Keep scrolling down to see how I turned this into an action photo...
The first thing I did was to remove (blur) the stand with "Retouch" tool in iPhoto.
Then I started to slowly blur the trees...again this was done with the "Retouch" tool.
The trees are finished and I've added a little blur on the prop blades  -still done with  "Retouch".  The Hurri is now starting to look like an aircraft in flight although the missing pilot gives away that this is a pic of a model. Now where can I find a pilot...?
Library stock images to the rescue. This photo of a real Hurricane in flight is in approximately the same attitude as the one in my pic so a little cloning, courtesy of Photoshop is in order.
Voila! We now have a pilot. The aircraft is looking quite realistic although a little modern  -I really wanted a more antique appearance.
The photo was then processed through Pixlr-o-Matic (free from the Google app store):  first it was rendered into a black and white image and then patinated with some scratchy effects.
A sepia tint completed the effects. The pic now looks like it could be passed off as a photo taken in 1940 and  kept in a drawer ever since. 

No comments: