Thursday, March 08, 2007

Iaido

Katana
Mad Dog is lusting after a sword like this one (don't worry only the point is sharp).

While I'm on the subject of aikido, I should also mention that I also train in iaido. This wonderfully graceful and contemplative martial art is all about sword drawing. The Japanese were absolute masters at unsheathing (and re-sheathing) their famously lethal katana in a precise, lightning quick manner and practiced the movements in a similar way to gunslingers of the Wild West (yes, and I haven't forgotten about those cowboy posts I said I'd finish awhile back). Anyway as aikido techniques are largely the empty hand versions of sword movements, taking up iaido has been a logical extension of my practice. It also has the allure of swordplay which has been a fascination since childhood. So recently I decided to extend my training beyond the sword classes offered at my home aikido dojo and join the excellent Musokai in Bellevue, Washington. Musokai is run by two very senior Japanese sensei (both 7th degree black belts) as well as a host of highly ranked assistant instructors and is one of the best schools in the country. I'm anticipating that this will be excellent supplementary training not to mention the fact that will give me an opportunity to acquire weapons like the one pictures above...!

No comments: