- They still haven't found what they're looking for? Would it kill them to ask someone for directions?
- "The Edge" sounds like a disposable BIC product.
- In the name of love? How about in the name of God?
- Bono is an anagram of Nobo, Noob, and Pompous Dickhead.
- Bono would take a meeting with Pol Pot if it would get him on the BBC.
- James Joyce counseled his fellow Irishmen to adopt "silence, exile and cunning." In Bono's case, we'd have settled for the silence.
- The Edge actually calls himself The Edge (hahahahahahahaha).
- Bono’s sunglasses look like those hideous disposable things the optometrist gives you after a pupil dilation procedure.
- When they write lyrics like "Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head", I’d rather take oppression.
- Their shameless hawking of high-end electronic products from Blackberry and Apple is inconsistent with their image of anti-enstablishment rockers.
Friday, January 15, 2010
So U Think That 2?
Despite a few reservations about both their music and antics in recent years, I posted a YouTube clip of U2 a week ago as I thought it was appropriate for a New Year greeting and besides I quite liked them in the early 80s. However Ohara, Andrew and Chuck have expressed reservations about my choice and I've noted rancor and discontent expressed by other writers. A more systematic search of the interweb has revealed a very large number of individuals for whom this band represents the musical equivalent of chewing aluminium foil. I have thus compiled a list of reasons why Bono and the Boys are not everyone's favourite combo. Here are 10* that I find the most amusing: