Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Big Bang

Big physics
Large Hadron Collider, CERN

Later today scientists at the CERN particle accelerator will try to re-create conditions in the universe immediately after the Big Bang. I'm not quite sure what they are hoping to observe but certainly they will be on the lookout for the elusive "God Particle". There is a concern that there is a finite risk of creating a black hole into which we will all fall and collapse under the weight of our own nuclei. While the latter event is unlikely I can't help thinking that this experiment is the grown up equivalent of me mixing potassium chlorate (weedkiller) and sugar together and observing what happened when I ignited the mixture. Did I destoy the garden shed? No, but I certainly singed my eyebrows...!

No comments: